The Red Sea & Eilat






My Mom and I drove down to Eilat for a few days. We took the route by way of the Dead Sea and the drive was just under 4 hours. For those of you who don't know, Eilat is the southern most tip of Israel. It is the city on the Red Sea. As you're looking at the beautiful sea, you can see Jordan to your left with Saudi Arabia in the far distance and Egypt with the Sinai Desert to your right. It looks like a large cove at the northern most part of the Red Sea.

We drove around a little bit looking for our hotel and commented that there was a certain Las Vegas vibe to city. When we couldn't find the hotel we called the reception desk for directions.

"Hi, my name is Sarah and I'm supposed to be checking in right now. I can't seem to find your hotel. I'm at the corner of Durban and Kaman street, where should I go?"
The receptionist answered, "I do not know street names. You must come to the airport and I can guide you by landmarks."
Me: "What? Are you serious? Ok. I see the airport from where I am, can you please tell me where to go from the intersection?"
Her: "I do not know intersections, only landmarks."
Me: "Well what about anyone else there? I only have a map with streets and I don't know where your landmarks are... Hello? Hello?!" I think she's talking to someone else now!
Her: "Call me back when you're at the airport."
Me: "Is there anyone there that knows street names?"
Her: "No. Only landmarks."
Me: "Ok fine. I'll find it myself."

Nothing seems easy in Israel. We found it, eventually though. Another mini yay for finding it!

We took a cab to south beach and found a nice place for dinner. After dinner we walked around and found a good place to sit and watch the sunset over the Red Sea and the Sinai. A little more walking around and back to the hotel for a little while. Around 9pm we headed out to find a place to watch Mundial World Cup finals. Fortunately Spain won, which was who I was rooting for. We had delicious dessert and drinks and had fun watching the game on the patio of a cafe in the hot night air.

We opted to start second day early. The fantastic concierge helped us to plan out a great afternoon. We started off at the Underwater Observatory with a glass bottom boat tour. You can see the coral from the shore and the color of the water was a breathtaking shade of blue and an iridescent shade of green. The 20 minute boat tour took us around the coral and fish to see the local sea life. After the boat, I climbed to the top of the observatory for a better look. I could see people swimming and snorkeling and boating and parasailing. We were roughly a 15 minute drive from the Egypt border. The contrast of the water being so blue and green against the desert being so brown and white was incredible. It felt like I could see forever. After I climbed back down we walked around the rest of the observatory and looked at all the sea life. Sharks, turtles, jelly fish, sea horses, and more coral and fish than I could have imagined.

After exploring for a few hours we left to go snorkeling and scuba diving. We had a reservation at a place called "Snuba Diving" about 5 minutes down the road from the Observatory. I have never gone diving before and the "Snuba Diving" is perfect for beginners. The tank is left on the raft and the dive is an hour long and with a guide. No tank, no lengthy instruction. I got a quick what's what and was excited to suit up and get in the water. My mom opted to snorkel while I took the dive. Wet suits on with masks and flippers in hand we were off! I have to say that diving was the most incredible experience. My guide was fantastic and he pulled along the tanks on the raft and showed me the world under the sea! If you have never gone diving I highly recommend trying it. I felt like I was flying through a different world. The colors were indescribable and the fish swam straight up to me. We were about 6 meters down and I had to wear a weighted belt pack to keep me from floating to the top. After my hour tour of the underwater world, we resurfaced and I quickly made my way to the shore to trade in my scuba mask for a snorkel. My Mom and I snorkeled for another half an hour or so before calling it quits and heading back to the hotel for a shower and a nap.

That night we walked to south beach and walked around. There is an outdoor shopping area sort of like the Venice Beach promenade. We found a restaurant for dinner near the water and sat outside. On a side note, I ordered nachos to go along with my dinner. Nachos in Eilat were tortilla chips with a side of salsa and a side of guacamole. Haha. No cheese, no nothing. Just chips. Oh my inner So. Cal girl misses great nachos. The salad was great and the margaritas were strong. We walked around a little more and got some frozen yogurt.

It was about 10pm and the people were out in the masses. The litter on the ground and amounts of people completely unaware of their surroundings frustrated me. They push and shove and bump into you like you're not even there. One girl pushed into my Mom and I yelled after her to stop being a bitch and just say "Slicha" (excuse me) and we'll move for you.

My Mom told me that upon her arrival in Israel a year ago, the keynote speaker at her arrival made a very interesting remark. He said as people make Alliyah (which is what it's called if you decide to move and become an Israeli citizen), Israel should learn and try to take the best qualities from each nation. Of American's, he said, "We can learn politeness." I didn't understand that statement until walking around that last night. I don't think I would have characterized American's polite before my "experience" walking around in downtown Eilat. So congratulations and thank you America for being the polite people. Oh, and for not littering nearly as much as the people there. Keep your country clean!

The final morning we had breakfast, took a few more pictures, and hit the road home. I made it back this time in 3 1/2 hours. I walked through the door of my Mom's house and promptly took a nap followed by a hot shower. I woke up in time to light Shabbat candles and head to Vivian's house for dinner. The night was cool and breezy. The company was great, and I even made a new friend. Yay.

1 comment:

  1. fantabulous! I have been diving for about ten years and have gone to several warm water places, looks like I need to add southern Israel to my list! I am glad you liked it and am having a good time. I understand about the abrupt manner, I did not have a problem but I noticed when there that they respect the military and most any person with a uniform on so I was treated good, not to mention I was a bit bigger then the local population! I remember if your polite at least you know your doing something good.

    Travelling by landmarks, hum it was probably something like "go the the starbucks right of the south runway turn left go about 1.5k to a pink house on your left about a block in and turn right then go another 4.3k till you see a falafel truck with a dent in the hood and turn left anf go another 2.3k, etc"


    Anyway I am sending in a check for you, when is the event?

    ReplyDelete