Jewel ends, the next chapter begins and... now what?






I am so glad that I took a chance and decided to participate in this summer program. I've learned so much about myself, what I want & don't want out of life, Judaism, and life my head is still spinning.

During my last post I was back in Tekoa on a break for a free Shabbat weekend. When I went back to Jewel I jumped back in... full force. My classes ranged from "Science and Torah", "Why Pray", Textual Torah lessons, "Essential Jewish Concepts", Jewish History, Mastering Freewill, and more. I was lucky to have connected with so many wonderful young Jewish women, Rabbis, Rebbitzens, and Professors. I learned so much in such a short amount of time that my notebook seems to be bursting at the seams (thank you Barry & Jan for the notebook by the way).

I've learned that "belief" is not a Jewish concept. Knowing is what to strive for. Isn't knowing half the battle? If it doesn't make sense to you, then don't believe it. Ignorance shouldn't be an excuse though. Judaism encourages a thirst for knowledge and understanding in it's purist form. Everywhere I've turned I've been encouraged to learn more, ask questions, and really find a true understanding for myself... understanding that makes sense to me. I understand the importance to learning and really understanding my history, heritage, and values. I appreciate everyone involved in the Jewel program for helping to open my eyes to making me want to learn more.

We also took an amazing trip last week to Tel Aviv and went to the "Blind Museum". If you've never been... I encourage you to go. We were split into 2 groups and slowly walked into a room of complete darkness. What is a person's first reaction when they're put into a new environment and they can't see anything... Fear? Frustration? Tension? Our tour guide was an expert and she guided us through several different rooms. She taught us how to "see" with our hands and ears. We shuffled from room to room feeling, smelling, and hearing our surroundings. One room was a simulation of a boat ride. We could smell the salty air and feel the slow rhythm of the waves. We sang Hebrew songs that we learned in Ulpan and I could picture the ocean in my mind. We shuffled into an "open air market" and felt around for fruits and vegetables, "crossed the street", and helped each other to "find" and figure out our surroundings. One room that I loved was the one simulating a classical music concert. Our tour guide encouraged us to sit against the wall or lie down and enjoy the concert. I decided to lie down... and I felt the music in the most incredible way. It was like the music was surrounding me. I was completely focused. There were no distractions for a moment I was a part of the most beautiful composition. I couldn't help but cry a little bit, I was so moved. At the end of the tour our guide brought us to the last blacked out room, sat us at a table and opened up for questions. It turns out that our guide is blind from birth. She is fluent in Hebrew, English, and Russian. She has been a teacher (in regular schools) for the majority of her life and is married with children. She gets to work each day by bus and knows the route to get there without any problems. She prefers her cane to a guide dog, but said that was a personal preference. She also taught us that when you notice a blind person who might need help crossing the street, it's ok to ask them if they want help. She laughed and told us that some people just assume that she wants to cross and just start helping without asking what direction she's wanting to go in. Some things that you don't appreciate as a person with sight, is colors. You can't describe color to the blind. She knows that bananas are yellow, the sky is blue, grass is green, but that's all (excuse the pun) blind information. She has systems to help her pick out her clothes, but the smallest thing that we, with sight, forget about is color. It was definitely a moving and inspirational trip and I loved every moment of it. By the end of the tour, the initial feelings of fear or frustration had dissipated. I am in awe of all that can and has been accomplished by the blind or visually impaired... and I was only in the darkness for 30 minutes, not a lifetime.

The last trip I took was after our last day studying in the Old City, to the Kotel Tunnels. I took this tour with my Uncle Bob last January and it felt just as moving this time as it did last time. I posted a video of the beginning of the tour on my facebook page. If you have a chance to watch it, I'm sure you'd enjoy it. The Kotel Tunnels are an archeologists dream come true. In one site, digging straight down, there are layers upon layers of history including both the 1st and 2nd Temple, Roman periods, Babylonians, etc. The tour runs underneath the Old City and Arab quarters to a point that brings you as close as you can get to where the Holy of Holies was kept. The Ark of the Covenant, the Torah, the tablets with the 10 Commandments. If there is ever an opportunity to take this tour... do it. You will never look at the Western Wall (Kotel) the same way.

After the tour, several of us walked from the Old City down Jaffa Street to the downtown area. There, we met up with friends we had made around Israel and celebrated birthdays together. It was so great to be together and have a wonderful time celebrating. A beer and shot of Arak later, laughing so much my face hurt, and smoking some hooka... I looked around and saw men on the patio where we were with Kippot (men's head coverings) on and thought to myself, "and this is Israel."

This leads me to my next point. I love... love... love... the fact that everywhere I go, I am a part of a majority. I can't help but smile when I see so many Jews together. Whether it's at the Kotel in the Old City, at a museum or the flea market in Tel Aviv, or a bar lounging and laughing together. I heard a great quote from one of my cousins last night when we went for a Shabbos walk and were talking about Arab/Israel relations. She said (and I loosely quote this), 'most Arabs and Jews don't bother each other, it's just the small amount of extremes on both ends of the spectrum that get splashed all over the news. Most Arabs and most Israelis are peaceful people "who want to just live their lives".

Our last Shabbat with Jewel, we went to Ramat Beit Shemesh for a Shabbaton with some of the program administrators and coordinators. I stayed with my Liverpool friend, Sara, at the home of the Soltz family. We got to know Cheryl (who is the person who admits candidates into Jewel) and her beautiful family. They hosted a lovely Shabbat dinner of nearly 20 people. Cheryl's husband used to teach on the Jewel program and did a small lesson for us at Rabbi Friedman's house after lunch on Saturday. Every family opened their doors to us and with open arms welcomed us to celebrate in their family traditions and customs. It was so welcoming and inviting. After Shabbat ended, Rabbi Friedman arranged a concert at his home for us! It was a great Jewish hip hop band that played for us called Shtar - Infinity. It was a great way to end Shabbat and right after the concert we boarded the bus back to Ramat Eshkol.

So, my program has ended and I truly miss it. I miss seeing my girls every day and discussing life and what we've learned (both what we liked and didn't like). I never thought I could have such a deep and meaningful connection with complete strangers from around the world in such a short time. After our farewell banquet, we went upstairs to our dorm room and sat on the floor drinking wine and relishing the fact that the program was over. Stacey went back to NY, Sara went back to Liverpool, Elyse went to travel Israel with her family, Olivia moved into an apartment in Jerusalem, and I went back to Tekoa. I know that those who left will be back soon to visit, and those still in the country I will see soon! You ladies are wonderful! Thank you for an amazing Chavaya together!!

Picture #1: Shtar - Infinity's private concert at Rabbi Friedman's house
Picture #2: Jacer, Ahron, Brian and I in downtown Jerusalem
Picture #3: The men's side of the Kotel before our tunnel tour
Picture #4: Me on top of the Aish Building
Picture #5: Me, Elyse, Huvi, Stacey, Sara, and Olivia at the final banquet dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment