Jerusalem light show and the outdoor market

Last night my Mom and I went into Jerusalem to see a light show around the gates of the Old City. We parked near Damascus Gate and walked around the outside walls to Jaffa Gate. The lights were beautiful and it was wonderful to see Jews and Arabs together in an international community enjoying their surroundings.

I do have to say though that people here in such a situation are not good with respecting personal space. They walk into each other with complete disregard to their surroundings and that there are thousands of other people walking around too. One nice man helped us get to a better spot to watch the lights, and hundreds of others bumped shoulders with us as we walked back towards the car. I couldn't take it anymore! I started saying things like.. "I know you see me!" "Don't pretend like I'm not here!" "You don't see my Mother walking next to me?!" Too bad no one seemed to speak English. Maybe it was better that way. I got to vent (loudly) and no one seemed to notice.

As I was saying, the lights were spectacular. It's breathtaking to see so much history lit up (quite literally) around the city gates. I feel like I'm starting to know my way around (a little bit) and it's such a good feeling.

This morning my Uncle and I dropped my Mom off at her Hebrew Ulpan (Hebrew classes). He and I ran a few errands and wound up at the open air food market. We shopped for fruit, avocados (which are twice the size of the ones at home), nuts, and assorted veggies to make salsa... yes I have a Mexican food craving. People were shopping for Shabbos and although the market was full, people weren't assholes like they were walking around last night. =) Thankfully.

So now, perhaps a siesta since a full night's sleep keep alluding me. Tonight I'll attempt making salsa and guacamole since my inner So. Cal girl is going through with drawls already.

Open air market
Lit up palm trees on our way back to the car
Jaffa Gate walkway
Light presentation where the nice guy helped us find a better spot

Damascus Gate entrance

2 comments:

  1. It doesn't look like the video turned out, but here's a link to my facebook page which has the videos posted there too....

    http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=1072533536

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your descriptions remind me of my travels! I do remember attending events in various countries where some crowds are pushy and some are not, it goes with flow. Maybe you So-cal influence will wear off on them, did you find good chips somewhere? I will checkout your facebook link later, I like you blog and am glad yioyour doing this, the blog and the move! _ cuz Dan

    ReplyDelete