Current Happenings

So life hasn't been as "glamorous" (and I use that term loosely) as the last few blogs, but I'm still trucking along doing my Israel thang. After my last Chavaya (experience or adventure) in the desert I spent Shabbat resting, relaxing and deciding what to do next. My answer was... I don't know. Oy. Perfect timing though, I got an invitation from my friend Elyse (from Jewel) to meet up with her and her family in Jerusalem. I spoke with Olivia (also from Jewel) and we were excited to see Elyse and hear about her adventures traveling with her family around Israel. Most important, I should say, Elyse and her sister Allison were Bat-Mitzvahed together in the Old City. So we walked to dinner and celebrated their special day. Elyse's family is great and it was fun getting to know them.

The next day I left Jerusalem and headed to Haifa to see Judy. Judy is my Grandma's first cousin... so what does that make us??... 3rd cousins or something removed??... I can never figure that stuff out! We chatted and caught up and stayed with Judy's friend in a great apartment with an amazing view of the Mediterranean. The next day, Friday, we drove to Tel Aviv/Shoham to see Judy's sons and their families. I stayed with Henry and his family for Shabbat. Almost right away we hoped in the car and drove to the port in Tel Aviv to the beach. A little sun, a little sand and sea, and a beautiful sunset later... I was a happy camper. We packed up our beach stuff and walked through the port to find a restaurant to have dinner at. There was a nice Kaballat Shabbat on the port with the Mediterranean as the back drop to the great Shabbos music. We stopped and enjoyed a few songs along the way.

Saturday morning, Henry, his wife Hannah, the dog Brandy, and I went back to the beach for more sun, sand, and sea. It was a beautiful morning and while Henry played with the dog, Hannah and I read our books and enjoyed the water. That afternoon we left for Ely's house where we were meeting up with his family for a BBQ for Gilly (Ely's daugther)'s 13th birthday. Great food. Great fun. Lots of family time. It was great seeing everyone and catching up. Saturday night, I was back on the bus to Tekoa. Whew. What a whirlwind few days.

This past week I decided it was time to start taking classes again. I've been "dropping in" to classes all over Jerusalem trying to find a good fit for me. My cousin (I have lots of cousins here), Keren, goes to Neve Yerushaliym and invited me to check out her seminary. Abbie (her sister) and I went together for the ride. The school is beautiful and lo and behold one of the best Rabbis from Jewel was teaching a class on Rosh Hashana and prayer. Of course, I stayed and dropped in to his class. Of course, I loved it.

I spoke to a few girls from Jewel that are still in Jerusalem and we decided to visit the Aish HaTorah center again and drop in to a few classes this past week. Every time I go there it re-instills my excitement and connection to studying in the Old City. So now it's Wednesday morning and the 4 of us, Jewel graduates, walk in to a classroom and... wait... no way... it can't be... it IS... There... teaching the class that I was randomly dropping in to was a friend from Bakersfield that I grew up with, Jeremy. Now I knew that Jeremy was living in Jerusalem. I knew that at some point I would see him and meet his wife and new baby. Did I think that I would finally get to see him at a random spur of the moment class in the Old City? No way. There he was though. Apparently things like this happen all the time in Jerusalem. The most random and inexplicable run ins are not so random and are totally regular and natural. After his class we caught up a bit and soon... very soon... I will get to see his home and meet his family. Only in Jerusalem.

My friends and I stayed for a few more classes after Jeremy's after which I left for Tel Aviv to help Abbie move her stuff to Tekoa. Yay for Abbie living in Tekoa! It's so great to have her as a neighbor, so I was happy to help her move. Yesterday, Thursday, I was back at it again. Olivia and I went back to Aish for more classes. Our classes consisted of defining the meanings of the words that begin most Hebrew prayers we've only gotten through 3 of the 6 words and that took 2 days. Judaism, Zionism, and the Messiah was another one that BLEW MY MIND! Jewish history with a Rabbi who's book I have on order and can't wait to read. Then finally Ethics which was more a class about why 'bad things happen to good people.' Very heavy and intense stuff, but like I've said before I just can't get enough of it! I'm going back for more next week.

On a side note, I had a small unique revelation yesterday. My cousin Abbie was going to join us for the Ethics class in the Old City, but didn't know where the building was. I realized that all of the sudden I knew my way through the Old City without a problem. I was speeding through the walkways and was able to, fairly quickly, find her and make our way back to the Aish Center for the class to begin. Did I ever expect to be able to say that I can maneuver the Old City without a tour guide? Nope, but I was very proud of myself for another minor accomplishment.

So Rosh Hashana, the Jewish new year 5771, is upon us. Less than a week from now actually. I am contently taking classes as much as I can through Aish and looking in to Ulpan (Hebrew language emersion) classes. I feel like this is the best and happiest I have felt approaching the New Year and ending the Hebrew month of Elul that I can remember. I have been in Israel for almost 3 months now and sometimes it feels like a lifetime. Shana Tova. Have a happy and sweet New Year.

I realize that my pictures have been fewer and further between so I am going to try to be better about not just taking my camera with me, but actually taking pictures with it. What a concept right?

1 comment:

  1. So Sarah: When do we get to hear about what youve learned where are you now versus that Sarah who left less than six months ago. Your DAD

    ReplyDelete