"Free Range Learning"





I have such a different life than I thought I would coming to Israel in such an amazing way. I was emailing with my Grandma this past week and she used the term "Free Range Learning". I thought that was the most appropriate and best description of what I have been experiencing here in Israel. I have been trying to think of the best way to describe the direction my life is going and what I have been experiencing, and it's almost hard to articulate so please bear with me as I try to put it in to words.

The past week or so I have gone back to Aish HaTorah and have been taking classes everyday in the Old City. The classes that I choose to take start at 10am and end around 4pm. I've been fortunate to have a friend from Jewel, Olivia, taking classes with me. It's great to have someone to talk to between classes and during lunch. This past week we found a great cafe that overlooks part of the Kotel and the Mount of Olives. So we sit and recap our fears, frustrations, excitements, and joys about what we're learning as we look out on such an amazing view. Yesterday I skipped the 2pm class and spent about 40 minutes at the Kotel just sitting, thinking, digesting information, and praying. Then I went back at 3pm for one last class before the break for Rosh Hashana.

On a side note this past week I have had some of the most phenomenal meals around Jerusalem and I've included some pictures for you to enjoy. For all of the amazing food I'm eating I am doing outstanding amounts of walking. My walking around Jerusalem usually starts near Rehaviya and the continues on to the Old City. From there I sometimes walk back to Rehaviya. Last Monday, I then walked to the Shuk (which is an open air market) and from there to the Central Bus Station. It was roughly a 5 mile walking day but with Rosh Hashana traffic my feet were moving me faster than the crowded buses were moving!

Meanwhile back to the subject at hand... September into October in Israel (especially Jerusalem) is similar to Thanksgiving to New Years in the States. People are cleaning and cooking and preparing to host family and friends for the holidays. Pulling together plans for meals and services. Should I go here? What about there? What would be the optimal experience to have while living in Israel? I've opted to stay in Tekoa for Rosh Hashana and Shabbat to spend time with the Brill family. I'm going to be checking out at least 2 different Synagogues this week in a effort to find a connection and perhaps a draw back to community prayer.

I've learned a lot about Rosh Hashana in the past few weeks and hopefully I can relay some of the information I've learned back. As many of you may or may not know Rosh Hashana is the Jewish New Year. Year 5771 to be exact. I thought that this was the celebration of the creation of the world, but it's not. It's the date that the Adam received his soul. We are celebrating the birth of the Adam, the end of an A-Moral civilization... a change from cave man to modern man. Yes, I said caveman. There were cavemen before the Adam was spoken about in Genesis. Dr. Gerald Schroeder (of M.I.T.) taught an amazing class about the transition of humanity from caveman to man as it is illustrated through the book of Genesis. If you're interested in Dr. Schroeder's works he has a website and many books about Science and Gd. www.geraldschroeder.com

As we are in the final moments leading up to Rosh Hashana the holiday dictates that we look back on the past year and reflect on what we did and didn't do... who we may have hurt (intentionally or not)... what we may have accomplished (or not)... etc. (you get the idea). So let me tell you all that 5770 (or 2009) was a very difficult year for me physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. I was very depressed and was searching for a way out or a leg up or whatever you want to call it. I was feeling like I had hit bottom. I didn't like who I was nor did I like who I was becoming. I'd like to relate this to the class that I took about 'why bad things happen to good people'. I felt like I was a good person who was trying very hard to have good things happen, and nothing was working out. Then I got a phone call from my Great Uncle Bob and Great Aunt Doris inviting me to come to Israel with them. I never had a desire to go to Israel. Honestly, I didn't care anything about Israel at all. I took them up on their offer and decided to go, afterall I am Jewish and it IS Israel. I went with an open mind and an open heart, not knowing what to expect. I had a great time with them and every day that I am here now, I think about what an amazing gift they gave me by opening my eyes to the world outside of what I knew. When I came home after the 10 day trip I knew my life was changed forever.

On Rosh Hashana it is written. Who will live and who will die. Who will prosper and who will struggle. Who will find love and happiness and who will endure heartbreak and sadness. I know that I experienced the heartbreak, sadness, and depression of last year as a result of the choices that I made and the manner in which I decided to react to them. You see 'bad things' are all relative to those who are experiencing them. I wouldn't change a thing about my past. My past has made me who I am today and has afforded me the 'good things' that I am experiencing now. I just had to be willing to open my eyes and look around to feel the difference and be willing and able to experience the change.

So with that being said I am offering my T'shuva and asking for forgiveness from anyone that I may have hurt in the past. I am sorry if my personal struggles affected anyone negatively. The purpose of life is growth and understanding to the best and fullest of your individual potential. So here I am, in Israel. Growing and learning and searching for understanding and meaning. I want to wish you all a very happy and healthy year filled with all of the love and blessings that you are searching for. Shanah Tova!!

Picture #1 Salad plate at the cafe in the Old City
Picture #2 "Jerusalem Syndrome" salad and the House Tea made with lemon, mint & ginger
Picture #3 On the walk from Rehaviya to the Old City you see the display honoring Gilad Shalit
Picture #4 A Bar Mitzvah celebration as they were heading to the Kotel

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Sarah. Thanks for putting into words the intense teachings we've been fortunate to hear recently. I feel truly blessed to have shared the first month and a half of my time in Israel with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannah Tovah Sarahlah: Thanks for your thoughts. May you continue to grow and learn, may you continue to find comfort and understanding an may this coming year be a year of health, happiness, learning, growing and coming to a deep understanding of our beautiful and rich faith/history/beliefs. YESHER KOACH. YOUR DAD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo your dad's wishes for the year ahead Sarah, and may I say that your journey is a truly beautiful one as you take each step forward with openess and honesty and a willing heart. We benefit all of humanity when we make this type of journey, no matter what our background may be

    ReplyDelete